Author: Samantha Matt
One would think we have enough competition and fights in our lives to be completely calm and relaxed with the person we love... but apparently we don’t. Couples love (and need) to fight. It’s a fact. In a fight-less relationship, after a while, one or both people will get bored/lose interest and the pair will split. So although fights may suck while they are going on, they can really be a good thing. Really. Fights may bring us apart for a few minutes (or days) here and there – but in the long run, if they don’t break us up, they make us stronger. Oh, and they keep things interesting.
In my opinion, fighting is totally and completely normal. Whether you’re fighting over the remote or fighting over a sexual text message your bf received from some rando girl (or you’re fighting over what the hell you’re even fighting about)… it’s all the same. And it most often ends the same way every time… with sex.
But there is one thing we love even more than fighting… Winning (duh). So today I’m going to tell you (20-something girls) 5 different ways to to win a fight with your boyfriend. Enjoy!
1. Use reverse psychology. If you are fighting over what to watch on TV, let him watch whatever he wants by saying ‘fine,’ throwing the remote at him, and then turning away or leaving the room. He will eventually feel bad and say ‘no, no we can watch whatever you want to watch.’ Works every time (almost).
2. Turn all fights that are about YOU screwing up on him. For instance, if you are fighting over the fact that YOU lied to him, describe in detail all the times he lied to you. You’ll have him begging for your forgiveness with no memory of you ever lying to him by the end of the fight. Success.
3. Make him feel guilty. If you want him to come out with you on a work night, but he won’t budge, make him feel like not going with you will be the biggest mistake of his life. ‘Fine. If you don’t come with me, I’ll have an awful night missing you the whole time.’ Or… ‘Everyone else’s boyfriends are going…’ You know, sob stories like that (even though we all know you will really have an AMAZING night flirting with every male who comes your way if you go stag… but he doesn’t need to know that).
4. Tell him you’re ‘done.’ The fear of break up will have him forgetting why you are even fighting in the first place (if there was ever a reason to begin with). This will work unless he has been waiting for you to break up with him so he wouldn’t have to be the one to do it… so if your relationship is on the rocks, I don’t recommend this tactic.
5. Cry. This one has a 95% success rate. The other 5% is usually when he is breaking up with you… or when he is realizing that he should break up with you because, like, why are you crying? You’re fighting over a box of chocolates… ‘You ate the caramel filled ones again, didn’t you? You know I love those! How could you?’ If crying doesn’t work, you probably shouldn’t be with this person anyway.
About the Author (Author Profile)Samantha is a Boston based 20-something who owns way too many clothes and and is openly addicted to teen dramas such as Pretty Little Liars. After graduating from Ithaca College, she started up Forever Twenty Somethings, a blog-turned-online-magazine about adjusting to life after college. Now she spends her days working full-time in television and whatever free time she has managing and writing for the website.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Fight With My Boyfriend « Bipolar Learning Curve | May 19, 2012