Sometimes it feels like 2008 was yesterday, but then I remember this was literally one year after Britney shaved her head. It was not yesterday. In fact, it was TEN YEARS AGO. Yes, my friends. Ten whole glorious years (that flew TF by) ago.
In 2008, I was a sophomore (and then junior) in college. I was immature. I had a limited sense of fashion. I thought Lil Wayne was king. I spoke in Facebook bumper stickers. I wore Uggs. To sum it up, things were not pretty. And I’m not even getting into the fact that 87% of the time I was blacked out running around Ithaca, New York like a gazelle in the wild who just so happens to drink a lot of Captain and diet soda (gross). Minus the alcohol and the incessant need to party, 2008 was still a god damn weird time.
Back in the day, my habits were probably very normal for a 19/20 year old female attending college in middle-of-nowhere New York. But now I look back on my lifestyle and cringe. I mean, I ate BAGELS… regularly. Recently, I scrolled through the 2008 part of my newsfeed on Facebook and although I died about 16 times, I found enough material to create this list of things I did in 2008 that I would never do now. Oh, and an important message before you read:
Caution: May cause cringing.
1. Update our Facebook status multiple times a day with updates on what we’re doing, what our mood is, song lyrics, ETC.
WHO LET ME ON FACEBOOK? HONESTLY.
2. Have conversations with people via Facebook walls.
I had more Facebook wall conversations with people than I do with people through text now.
3. Bring digital cameras to parties to take allllll the pics
4. Post albums to Facebook with a max of 60 pictures usually of one random night out.
Kids today will never understand the struggle of deciding what rap lyrics to use as the title of your next Facebook album
5. Stalk other albums to find yourself in the background of someone’s party/bar pics.
Or was this just me?
6. See T-Pain in concert.
7. Wear and/or sing about BOOTS WITH THA FURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
8. HAVE THE MOST ANNOYING RINGTONES BECAUSE APPARENTLY LEAVING ON YOUR PHONE ON VIBRATE WASN’T COOL.
In 2008, I had O.A.R.’s Love and Memories as my ringtone and the chorus honestly still haunts me to this day. When I hear it, I assume the ghosts of my past are calling me and I go into panic mode. Why couldn’t I have just left my phone on vibrate? No one wants to hear a phone ring. Thank god we established this not long after the horror that was the ringtone era.
9. Be confused about weather an item was a shirt or dress.
I hope this ‘trend’ never returns because it gave me a lot of anxiety. Like, was is it a shirt or a dress? I still don’t know. But I do know it looked fucking weird with jeans, yet people wore long tops with jeans anyway. Thank god for leggings.
10. Wear tube top shirts.
Side note: How did I get this tan? Life before work must have been goooooood. CAN I GO BACK? Or no. I clearly did not know how to bra shop back then. Eek.
11. Rock the color brown.
12. Sport wide leg jeans.
13. Wear belts in the middle of our shirts???????
14. Eat at chain restaurants over cool restaurants.
15. Still use AIM.
I did still use AIM in 2008. Away messages and all. Mostly used to ask people what they were doing tonight. PARTY.
16. Wear tight zip up sweatshirts from Abercrombie and Hollister to parties.
17. Send video messages to our friends while drunk on each other’s Facebook walls.
I’m still embarrassed.
18. Take fierce and fab selfies on our computers using Photo Booth.
My obsession with Photo Booth foreshadowed my chronic selfie obsession in my early-mid 20s. The obsession faded when I noticed wrinkles. Help.
19. Throw on these ancient artifacts at parties
Thank u Kanye
20. Let out our feelings in the form of Bumper Stickers on Facebook (the OG memes).
I was a bumper stickers connoisseur.
21. Played Jetman, the Facebook game.
I remember having a V high score. I wonder if Facebook sold my scores.
22. Watch the trashy version of The Bachelor about the girl from Myspace, Tila Tequila.
MTV before MTV had Jersey Shore.
23. Own a flip phone (still)
Or maybe that was just me? I didn’t cross over to Blackberry territory yet, so you couldn’t BBM me. I had that white Samsung music phone that changed colors.
24. Maybe know who Taylor Swift is… AKA a blonde curly haired country singer who has a guitar and is kind of annoying.
25. Wonder why Kanye West is so… sad.
808s & Heartbreak is code for what happens before your ego takes over your body, and Twitter.