SoOoOoOoOo if you live in the North East like me chances are you’re hibernating from the awful season I like to call ‘Winter.’ Right now, it’s snowing – like a lot – and is negative degrees (that’s actually not even an exaggeration). Most of you are probably not going outside unless you have to. Even if you live in a different place in the country, chances are it’s colder than it is in the Summer and you use this season to hibernate too. So what’s a 20-something in hibernation to do? WELL, there’s actually a ton of stuff you can do. Here are 15 things you can do whenever you’re stuck inside for the day. Have fun.
1. Netflix. Duh. If you don’t have it, mass text all your friends asking for someone’s Netflix info. Then, hop on your couch, log in, and watch movies all day long… or start binge watching a TV series. WARNING: If you do start binge watching a TV series, you will most likely be stuck inside for much longer than just a day… but when the TV beckons, the TV beckons. Sorry it’s not sorry. Another note: You don’t need Netflix to do this. You can just use On Demand. There’s no escaping this epic journey of time wasting.
2. Clean out your closet. Just like Eminem was doing circa 2002 (he was cleaning out his closet… in case you didn’t get it), now is your chance to organize the shit out of that thing. Chances are you still have flip flops, sandals, and beach cover ups hanging out in there. TAKE THEM OUT. Bring them down to storage. Shove them in a drawer. No one wants to be reminded that there was once a time when life was good and margaritas were flowing.
3. Book a vacation. I just reminded myself that life was better when margaritas were a thing, so now I want to book a trip to a warmer climate. Chances are, you do too. So if you’re stuck on your couch, you’ve got some time to research vacas. Spend a few hours browsing flights to Vegas, Miami, California, Mardi Gras (YOLO), the Bahamas, even Europe (why not) and book the shit out of a vacation. Have no money to do this? Betch, that’s what credit cards are for! Credit card maxed out? Have your friend, who is also stuck on the couch, put it on their credit card. She/he is going with you anyway… and you want to sit together on the plane… so it makes sense. TREAT YO’ SELF. You definitely (don’t) deserve it… (you lazy/poor piece of shit).
4. Do laundry. There is no better time to commit yourself to your apartment for 2+ hours than a day stuck in your apartment! Finally, you’ll have clean thongs again. #NoMoreGrannies
5. Download music. I never have time to research good music anymore, but a day stuck in my apartment — I’ll look up good music all day long. Then figure out how to download it. Or I’ll just buy songs on iTunes. Am I the only person who actually purchases music on iTunes? Maybe. But whatever. There’s no greater satisfaction than making a great playlist and then listening to said playlist when running/driving. Can’t create your own playlist sans ads with Pandora, can you? CAN YOU?!
6. Get off. Stuck inside with your significant other or an FWB (friend with benefits)? Have sex all day! It might be too cold to take your clothes off but go under the covers or something. If your place is warm enough, explore new areas of your apartment. That probably means the floor, couch, or shower for you (I mean, what 20-something has a big enough apartment for more options anyway?)… but whatever. Exploring is exploring. Alone? Take out your sex toys (or your hand) and go to town. Seize the day!
7. Organize your desk and/or storage closet(s) and/or life. If you have a desk and/or storage closet(s), chances are they are legit disasters. Throw out empty boxes, clean out desk drawers, go through all that mail you’ve been ignoring and pick and choose what you want to keep — and throw out what you don’t want. I REPEAT – THROW OUT WHAT YOU DON’T WANT. THERE IS NO POINT TO KEEP MAIL. WHY DOESN’T EVERYONE JUST SEND EMAILS? WHAT’S THE POINT OF REAL LIVE LETTERS? Okay sorry for the rant — personal issue with this. Clutter. All it is is clutter. Anyway, you get my point.
8. Nair your mustache. Cats out of the bag. You’ve got a ‘stache. GET RID OF IT.
9. Cook. Bake some cookies. Throw something in the crockpot. Go through your pantry, see what you have, and think up something good you can make for dinner. Not enough ingredients? If you live in the city, take a stroll outside to your nearest convenient store. Not going outside at all? Yeah, you’re definitely not going outside today. Well, then just research things (hello Pinterest) you want to make for dinner in the future. Make a list and get those ingredients later on when you do decide to brave the outdoors again.
10. Work out. You might not be making it to the gym or going outside for a run today, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get your sweat on. Get that heart rate up with some jumping jacks. Roll out the
red carpet yoga mat and start doing some crunches. Pick up your 5-10 pound free weights and get those arms moving. Plank for a minute or two. Do some leg workouts. GET WILD. No idea what workouts to do in your very own home? Look online! Go to fitsugar.com and watch some workout videos for inspirations. Go to one of your fave magazines’ websites (Cosmo, Self, etc) and check out their fitness sections. Or just google/YouTube exercises to do at home. There’s so many you’ll be left out of breath by the time you’re done. Oh, you can also just have sex if another body is available. Just sayin’.
11. Clean. I mean the good old fashioned cleaning you should be doing on the daily. Wipe down those floors. Vacuum that carpet. Wipe the kitchen counters, coffee tables, even your TV stands and bedroom dresser. For some reason it’s easier to be productive when the world around you isn’t full of dust and shit.
12. Read. Read a book. Read an article. Read a magazine. Read a newspaper. Not sure what a newspaper is? Stop reading this article immediately. But in all seriousness, do you think one day children will not know what a newspaper is?
13. Send pictures somewhere to be printed. Over the years you’ve somehow accumulated an unnecessary amount of photos on Facebook. Go through them, save the ones you like, and then pick a bunch to print out so you can have old fashioned paper pictures (remember those?). You can then make collages, put them in picture frames, bring them to work, WHATEVER. It’s always good to have real live pictures. What if the internet crashes and all your pictures somehow disappear. Then what?! HUH? HUH?!!??
14. SLEEP. Catch up on all that sleep you never get thanks to work and your WiLd AnD cRaZy social life. Bed is the best when its cold out.
15. Drink. Booze to your 20-something self is like how Andys’ toys were to him in Toy Story. YOU LOVE YOUR BOOZE, but when you’re stuck at work and going out to drink other peoples’ booze over the weekend, your own booze feels neglected. So drink it. Make yourself a cocktail. Have some wine. Doing each one of the things on this list will be better with alcohol. Even sleeping. Guaranteed. Booze makes everything better.