It’s never easy deciding what to get your BF for Valentine’s Day. It’s not his birthday or Christmas, so you don’t want to go all out… but then again – what if he goes all out? You don’t want to feel cheap. So what should you get him?
If you just started dating some time in the past 3 months, you probably shouldn’t get a “big” gift. Even if you are afraid (or know) he might splurge on you, it doesn’t mean you have to. There is also the chance that he won’t get you anything at all… but you should still get him something. If he doesn’t get you anything, you will at least look like the better person, make him feel bad, and/or be able to end your relationship before you get any more attached to this jerk. Here are some ideas for you:
1. A whole lot of candy (chocolate and candy hearts) and a nice, handwritten card. The card is the main event in this gift, so make it good. Even though he probably won’t be showing it off to his friends, it will mean a lot to him.
2. A framed picture of the two of you for him to put on his desk at work or on display in his room. Pair this with a bunch of chocolates and you have a cute and thoughtful gift.
3. (Normal and nice) Boxers. Of course you might think this is a bit cliche… and that’s because it is… but getting your guy a nice pair of boxers is a very romantic gift. Every time he wears them, he will (hopefully) think of you. Of course, don’t forget to pair this with candy.
If you’ve been dating around 6 months to a year, this is where you might get a little confused. You certainly don’t want to get your guy an expensive watch or a new TV, but you also don’t want to go with the candy & card combo if he’s going to get you a pricey necklace. If you feel comfortable discussing how much you’re going to spend on each other, definitely do that… Maybe he feels like you want him to go all out for you, but you don’t – at all. However, if you don’t feel comfortable clearing the air yet, you don’t have to splurge. Just be thoughtful and cute – That is your best bet for a “romantic” holiday. Here are some ideas for you:
4. Cologne. This is romantic and classy. Not only will your man smell the way you want him to, but he will happy he didn’t have to spend the money on spray.
5. If your guy is into his looks, a nice shirt. Paired with chocolates, you’ve got a cute, inexpensive gift.
6. Something he’s talked about getting – a wallet, a video game, a book, etc. And candy!
7. BAKE him something! Cute heart cookies… pink cupcakes… Just go on Pinterest and browse. You’ll find something. Effort is more expensive than just buying something.
8. Maybe instead of him taking you out to a nice dinner, you could cook a fancy dinner for the two of you to spend a romantic (and cheap) night in.
If you’ve been dating for a while, you are good to get any of the above presents (as long as candy and a romantic card goes with your gift). But if you want to splurge, and you’ve talked about doing it, by all means – splurge. You could get:
9. A vacation/getaway. Maybe you can each split a weekend away… or maybe you can surprise him with a night at a hotel.
10. Tickets to a sporting event. Baseball season is only 2 months away… And if you get him tickets, you will be able to go too. #Score.
If you’ve been together for a long time, I’m sure you are comfortable talking about how much you each should spend on each other AKA if you’re going to do big gifts (maybe a vacation or a new camera) or small gifts (a cute little box of chocolates – yum). But no matter what, the card and candy combo can still do wonders. It’s the thought that counts! What are you getting your BF for Valentine’s Day this year?