Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m a true magpie. If its shines it’s mine. Thanks to Gaga, sparkles have somehow made it into the realm of “basic” in a girl’s wardrobe, just like leopard print. A sequin-collared blouse under a cardi for the office – cute and fresh! But for NYE – and birthdays and bachelorette’s for that matter – the LSD (little sequined dress) feels overdone. It’s not new or exciting anymore; it’s tired.
I love a sequin as much as the next twenty-something, but I’d like to see something different out on the dance floor this year. Here are 10 options to sparkle in a sea of sequined dresses on NYE including one get out jail free card – a freshly styled sequined peplum top (see what I did there?!).
1. F21; Metallic Pattern Racer Dress The geometric gold and black pattern adds interest and dimension to the classic LBD.
2. ASOS; Motel Sarah Dress I love this option. Pair this black and white polka dot dress with a bright pink lip for a pop. Quirky and cute.
3. Nasty Gal; Out in Town Velvet Dress Velvet is a fabric I never saw making a comeback, but there a few surprisingly cool velvet options out there. This dress evokes a sexy, retro feel – without the cheesy 70’s vibe. Pair with retro pin-up curls.
4. Lulu*s; Rose in your Teeth Dress the LRD (little red dress) is another fun alternative to the LBD. Here’s an instance where matching your lipstick to your outfit totally works.
5. F21; Leopard Print Bodycon Dress Leopard doesn’t have to be loud. This dress has a simple cut – and the spotted pattern could also distract from any post holiday lbs you might feel!
6. ASOS; A Wear Metallic Lantern Dress This textured gold dress would look adorable with a mussed top-knot and a sparkly headband. Do a winged eyeliner for extra elegance.
7. Lulu*s; Don’t Call it a Comeback Dress Don’t sleep on the maxi dress! A long dress with a slit is a subtly sexy option to easily outshine any mini. Add a bold necklace to pump up the neckline.
8. ASOS; One Shoulder Dress with Drape Green is an underrated color. This kind of emerald green is universally flattering – it looks great on bright blondes or sultry brunettes and won’t wash you out if your summer glow is long gone. A pretty, graceful and green little dress.
9. Nasty Gal; Nala Peplum Dress The peplum trend is a flirty look that emphasizes the waist and is extra flirty and fun in a pattern. Stick to relatively simple accessories – this dress does fine all by itself.
10. Lulu*s; Leather Frock-ing Tale Black Vegan Leather Dress A luxurious fabric in a simple cut is a strong, seriously fashionable look for NYE. Pair with pop-colors like red for a sexy look or keep it cool and a little rock and roll with a tough metallic like bronze.
The bonuses- top: Nasty Gal Golden Years Peplum Top, pants: Zara Faux Leather Leggings If you MUST do sequins – try a flirty top paired with a strong anchor like black leather leggings for a new take on the look. Shine on!