Blame it on Hallmark, blame it on your single status, blame it on Cupid…Valentine’s Day has a lot of haters. Not that you NEED a special day to show all your favorite people how much you love them, but it could be just the chance to show your <3.
1. You don’t NEED a significant other to celebrate. Celebrate your best friend(s). Celebrate your dog. Celebrate your mom. Celebrate yourself. Send out some cards, buy some candy to share with coworkers, treat yourself to a mani, and get in the spirit. You can make someone’s day.
2. This one day is your chance to go big. I sent my sister a barbershop quartet without telling her it was coming. What other day out of the year is that socially acceptable?
3. You can pig out on candy without regret. Move over, Halloween. Valentine’s Day means sugar coma.
4. February 15th means discounted candy. 50% off a giant bag of Reese’s Cups? Don’t mind if I do.
5. You can wear red and pink in the same outfit without feeling like you stepped out of an episode of What Not to Wear. Add in some heart jewelry too.
6. You don’t have to get super creative. Stores and restaurants do all the work for you. Call up Papa John’s and send your Valentine a heart-shaped pizza. Head to the grocery store and stock up on red and pink M&Ms.
7. You can get super creative. Channel your inner Rachael Ray and whip up a fancy meal. Make homemade cards. Buy glitter.
8. Valentine’s Day 2015 is a Saturday, so if you overdo it on the wine, it’s okay. And you can spend ALL DAY celebrating!
9. It’s the perfect excuse for a rom com marathon. As if you need another reason to spend all day Netflix-ing.
10. Red velvet cake. Not that you need a special day to eat red cake, but Valentine’s Day just makes it better.
11. If you’re anti-V Day, you’re still acknowledging that Valentine’s Day exists. So you ARE celebrating.
12. Your apartment gets a needed burst of freshness from that bouquet your sig other (or your parents…I won’t tell) sent you. Winter is blah. Flowers are not.
13. Red lipstick. Red nails. Red everything, That tube of MAC Ruby Woo that otherwise doesn’t get much love can get some on the 14th.
14. LOVE IS EVERYWHERE. A reminder that somewhere, someone loves you. Don’t forget it!