When you’re a kid, your mom is the one who woke you up for school, made you lunch, was your personal chauffeur, and did everything you wanted, without asking for anything in return. You may have resented her in your tween and teenage years, when she made you stay in and study while the rest of your friends went out to parties (even though you may have attempted to sneak out). You went off to college, lived your life, and called every week (or more) like she asked.
But now that you’re a twenty-something, that dynamic may have shifted, to the point where she’s becoming the Lorelai Gilmore to your Rory. Friends and relationships come and go, but your mom will be there if you need retail therapy or a good rom-com ice cream fest.
1. You actually want to call her.
And have a good three-hour conversation about anything and everything. And she will drop everything (and I mean everything) to pick up and listen. Guy problems, girl problems, work problems…she’s heard them all.
2. You start sounding/acting just like her.
“Don’t forget a jacket! It’s going to be cold out”.
3. You still teach her the ropes of social media.
When she’s struggling to post a status on her wall instead of typing it in the search bar, you come to the rescue and help her. All her friends are on Facebook, so she needs to be in the know. And don’t even bring up the selfie stick.
4. She knows everything, and sometimes that’s okay.
She knows what you really did when you said you spent the night at Sarah’s house. Those deep dark secrets you kept from her in high school, oh, she definitely knows everything. She’s heard your phone calls to boys but never said anything because she doesn’t want to embarrass you.
5. Your mom makes time for you, even if you don’t always have time for her.
She always asks what you’re up to, texts you during work hours and if you want to get sushi with her when you come home for the weekend. She will make a trip to see you and do whatever you want. But if you don’t text her back within a respectable time frame (ranging from about one to five minutes), she will go batsh*t.
6. You want to do things with her.
As you get older, you want to do fun things with her. Shopping, cooking classes, painting…the list goes on.
7. She keeps up with current trends.
No “mom jeans” for this lady—your mom is hip and fashionable, and you find her in your closet just as much as she finds you in hers.
8. #MomTexts make your day.
“She thought LOL meant Lots Of Love”. And sometimes you don’t want to correct her because she’s just so cute about it.
9. She won’t judge you if you don’t get out of your sweatpants all weekend.
10. She knows what makes you feel better after having a bad day.
11. She knows what makes you feel better after having a great day.
12. You may not finish each other’s sentences, but she does know what foods you like and don’t like.
13. You can always rely on her for plans when yours fall through.
Dinner and a movie with mom never sounded so good.
14. She won’t judge you when you get too drunk.
15. When you both find something you love, you always have the best time.
You know your cooking skills are no match for hers, but you enjoy a good cooking class.
16. You know her quirks and she knows what gets on your nerves.
17. She can sass up anyone who comes in front of you.
18. She will always be there for you, no matter what.