23 is an interesting age. It’s a great point in your life to make big decisions for yourself because you don’t have anyone to answer to or have to consider. And if you don’t have your life completely together, it’s not the end of the world, you still have a year or two before people start judging you. I often feel confused about life. I’m brand spanking new to the real world. I think I’ve gone through enough and have learned what I need to know in order to be prepared for adulthood, but no one else seems to think I should be taken seriously. I know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, either being this upcoming birthday, or the next (yay for cheaper car insurance!). However, right now I’m 23, and even though my life is pretty much together, I feel like it’s a disaster.
Here are 23 signs you are 23:
1. You’re just pushed out there into the real world with all this responsibility you’re actually ready to accept, but no one takes you seriously.
2. None of your friends are on the same page. One has their shit together, one is ripping their hair out to get there, and one just doesn’t care. It’s hard to relate to each other anymore.
3. You can’t relate to anyone at work either because you’re just a baby to them. And they have, like, families and stuff.
4. Sometimes you contemplate just behaving like a kid again because life was so much easier back then, but you have no idea where to begin with that. So you stay in this limbo of age.
5. You don’t understand anything today’s kids are saying. WTF is coco? Ugh, as if!
6. It’s just impossible to keep up with pop culture anymore. And frankly, you don’t care. So you skip E! News for the night and just binge watch The Hills. Yay for staying in 2006.
7. Ted Mosby and Joey Tribbiani are your spirit animals. The only way to feel content with your life is by watching Friends and How I Met Your Mother.
8. The mall is a dreadful place to be. There are rowdy teenagers everywhere and you leave broke. Why was this ever the best place ever?
9. You don’t know where to shop for clothes anymore. Can’t there be a store with Nordstrom clothes for a girl on a Forever 21 budget?
10. You don’t really have anything to look forward to right now because cheaper car insurance is so. far. away.
11. However, you have 3 more years on your parent’s health insurance. Thanks Obama!
12. According to everyone, there’s supposed to be a significant other in your life. Because they keep asking about it or are trying to set you up.
13. Buying alcohol is no longer thrilling. It’s obnoxious to have to get your ID out. The struggle of living adult life with a baby face.
14. You do notice the changes in your look. Whether your hair line is receding or you are losing elasticity in your skin, you have taken notice.
15. Working out and eating healthy isn’t a choice anymore. You’ve realized you have to preserve what’s left of your youthful appearance.
16. You have to suck it up and learn to cook. But it’s a feeling of empowerment once you begin cooking for yourself. And guys like a lady that can cook, right? Oh boyyyyyyyyssssss, I’m domesticated!
17. Age doesn’t matter as much anymore when it comes to dating, as long as they are at least 22. No jail bait please.
18. You find yourself looking for wedding ring when first meeting someone you’re attracted to. I wonder if guys ever notice you glancing down.
19. When you start talking to a guy you immediately want to know what kind of work they do. You can’t settle for a 25 year old barista when you are a successful career woman (in the making)!
20. People still ask what you are studying in school. Then look at you crazy when you say you have already graduated.
21. Debt has haunted you and you’ve learned the beauty of budgeting. Once you get that adult salary though, paying bills isn’t as big of a struggle. You learn to cut stupid expenses out. But if you need a night out or a shopping spree, it isn’t going to kill your wallet.
22. SLEEP > All of the things! It’s crazy that just a couple of years ago you woke up, went to school, went to work, then went out and did all over the next day. Now if you’re lucky if you’re still awake at 10:30 pm. You know, that time of night you used to be walking out the door in 5 inch heels and were just starting the night.
23. If you’ve never been a coffee person, you are now!