Without realizing it, many 20-somethings spend a majority of their time saying they’re sorry. It’s like word vomit. It could be argued that I’m sorry is this generation’s version of like. But why do we apologize so much? What are we even apologizing for? Like when the Starbucks barista gets your order wrong, and YOU apologize. WHY? Here are a few other things that should never warrant an I’m sorry.
1. Not having sex with a guy. If you are kind enough to invite him into your bed in the first place, he should be kissing the ground you walk on, not complaining because you won’t put out. Punch him in the dick and kick him out.
2. Having sex with a guy. It’s your body and you can do whatever you want with it. Never apologize for getting a little action. If your friends judge you for it then they’re not really your friends.
3. Being 100% honest with your friends. If you are my friend and I care about you, I am not going to apologize for telling you that the guy you’ve been talking to is an asshole. Because he is.
4. Not texting someone back. Maybe I’m too busy to have a conversation right now. Maybe I just don’t feel like talking to you. Either way, if it was really that important I hope you would just call me.
5. Telling someone you think they’re cute. I’m sorry, but I think you’re like, super attractive. If you’re going to be bold, don’t apologize for it.
6. Bumping into people when it was clearly their fault. If only all cities could widen the sidewalks by 10 feet then we wouldn’t have this problem.
7. Stepping away from you computer for 5 minutes at work. Believe it or not, you are allowed to get lunch/fill up your water bottle/go to the bathroom. The world didn’t stop spinning while you were gone, no matter how much anyone makes it seem like it did.
8. Drunk texts. So you texted a guy that you like when you were drunk. Big deal. They should be happy you were thinking about them at all.
9. Sending a long, detailed email. More often than not all of those details were absolutely necessary. The other person should be thanking you.
10. Staying in on the weekends. You have every right to go out and have fun with your friends. You also have every right to sit on your couch all weekend ignoring your phone and watching Sex And The City.
11. Standing up for yourself. I’m sorry but… is not a good way to make people listen to you. If you believe in something then don’t be afraid to say it.
12. Wearing leggings in public. They’re comfortable, okay? If they’re see-through you have full permission to tell me. Otherwise leave me alone.
13. Asking for a raise/promotion at work. If you really deserve it then there is no reason you shouldn’t get it. Know your worth.
14. Ending those one-sided or toxic friendships. Sometimes people grow apart and no longer have a place in your life. It sucks, but it happens.
15. Taking a sick day/vacation day. You work your ass off nonstop. Vacation days exist for a reason—don’t apologize for using them.
16. Having feelings. Omg, I’m so sorry I never cry this is so embarrassing! We all cry during that one Budweiser commercial. It’s fine.
17. Wearing or not wearing makeup. It’s your face and you can do whatever you want with it.