Tucson, AZ. What’s it got to offer? Not much, really, but Tucson definitely has it’s own culture that the natives possess and newcomers obtain. Tucson is a city that is trying with all it’s might to become a huge city, yet is destined to forever be a quaint little artsy town. It is full of character, that’s for sure.
Here are 17 things only Tucsonans understand:
1. Your phone is filled with good sunsets. It’s repetitive yet necessary.
2. Your squad is defined based on where you live. You live 25 minutes away? That is far too long of a drive, we can’t be friends.
3. You know it’s complete agony driving anywhere more than 20 minutes away because of the lack of a freeway system. You are SOL if you are headed East or coming from there because the 10 is our only way to get around town, except it’s on the very west end of town.
4. You have a love/hate relationship with winter. Ugh, finally four whole months of temperatures below 80 degrees! But what is this? Flocks, herds, and schools of old people we like to call “snowbirds” are everywhere and you cannot move your car beyond 25 mph.
5. You’ve realized that sometimes walking down 4th Ave. is more fun sober than drunk. The BEST people watching can be done in the wee hours of the night on 4th and Congress. Just be careful under the bridge and go on the side where the light show is – not the side with the homeless band.
6. You have seen the life and death of multiple malls. El Con, and soon to be Foothills. But hey, how about them new Outlet Malls in Marana?
7. In addition to your hometown squad, you also have a Phoenix squad. Half of your friends moved up to Phoenix so it’s very convenient to have a place to crash when you go up for the weekend because we all know there is SO much more to do in Phoenix than in Tucson.
8. You know the meaning of “big city, small town.” You can’t go anywhere without running into someone you know, no matter what side of town you happen to be on. And also, when you meet someone new, they know at least 5 of the same people as you and probably know all the dirty gossip on you. Yikes.
9. You know Tucson has the best Mexican food in the country. I mean, well, yeah.
10. You know better than to try to go anywhere during El Tour De Tucson. And it’s usually easy to figure out when it is approaching because there are cyclists everywhere!
11. UA Alum or not, you have Wildcat Pride. Or you’re a stupid
Sun Scum Devil who should really just go back to Tempe if you’re not willing to convert. ASWho?
12. You never pack up your sandals. You can wear them year-round, really.
13. You know the secret that is Eegees. We aren’t even going to explain. We will keep this secret to ourselves.
14. Hiking is something you do regularly. There are too many great mountain ranges and hiking trails in Tucson to pass them up. Whether you go to the same trail all the time or change it up and see new sights, you’re not a Tucsonan unless you hike.
15. You wonder how the Umbrella Lady is doing. And what her story is.
16. You know how to get to all of the attractions. The attractions are not the first place a local wants to hang out, but when someone comes to visit, San Xavier Mission, Mt. Lemmon, The Desert Museum, and Pinnacle Peak are where they will show them. And El Charro and Eegees are going to be on the menu no doubt!
17. You are destined to get out, or forever stay. Some people love Tucson and some people hate it. Those who hate it either get out successfully or try and try until they realized they’ve been sucked in the black hole. It’s best to just accept it for it’s quirks and learn to love it. At least it’s not thug city.