If you don’t know by now, I love coffee. It might even be a problem how much I love coffee. Yet, you know what else is a problem? How much I spend on it a day.
I definitely try to make it at home and save but that doesn’t always work. I can sit here and come up with SO many excuses why I rarely make it at home but it’s mostly because I am lazy. How lazy? I have a Keurig. I literally just have to put a cup in a push a button. Queen Lazy, that’s me.
I usually go to three places. Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a local Boston joint named Flat Black.
Breaking it down, if I spend about $5 at Starbucks and my local joint, that’s $25 a week, about $100 a month and well a gross $1,400 a year. I don’t spend as much at Dunkin Donuts but it’s still an absurd amount of money on coffee.
I decided to poll some friends and see what they spend a day on coffee. Then did some math to figure what they might spend a week/month/year if it were to be bought every.single.day.
- Salim & Katherine told me they spend around $3.24 on a cold brew iced coffee at that local joint Flat Black.
- Week: $16.20
- Month: $64.80
- Year: $907.20
- Chris spends about $4.23 at Starbucks.
- Week: $21.15
- Month: $84.60
- Year: $1,184.40
- Megan opts to usually make coffee at home. Sometimes she finds herself sometimes at a place called Not Just Coffee, she spends about $4.
- Week: $20
- Month: $80
- Year: $1,120
- Hillary told me she usually goes to Dunkin but sometimes treats herself to $5.50 coffee at a local place in Boston called The Buttery.
- Week: $27.50
- Month: $110
- Year: $1,540
- Natalie, sometimes goes more than once for coffee, usually spends around $6 at Starbucks.
- Week: $30
- Month: $120
- Year: $1,680
- Nicole finds herself spending around $7 a day at Dunkin Donuts.
- Week: $35
- Month: $140
- Year: $1,960
- Mary who travels for work says she doesn’t spend a dime on coffee. She’ll often drink the coffee at hotels and still have a bag she received for last Christmas.
- Katie sometimes grabs coffee at Dunkin, yet often chooses to make coffee at home, so she says she spends around .50 cents a day with her k-cups.
- Week: $2.50
- Month: $10
- Year: $140
- Kristen also chooses to often use her k-cups at home but whens she does travel she chooses Starbucks or Dunkin for a cup of joe.
All in all, my friends and I should start using k-cups or making coffee at home. We all could save a lot of money that can be spent on alcohol.. and shoes.