It really bothers me when people make a big deal about going to the movies alone. There is nothing wrong with it and honestly, more people should do it. Seriously, there is nothing embarrassing about it. I went to the movies alone on my 23rd birthday and saw The Longest Ride. Cried through half the movie. Alone. On. My. Birthday. Guess what? I’m still here and doing fine. So quit complaining—here’s why you should totally go to the movies alone.
1. No one is going to judge you and if they do, then screw them. I hear often that girls won’t go to the movies alone because they’ll be embarrassed if someone sees them alone. I think this is a bogus excuse. Let’s be honest here – the girls you run into are probably thinking more along the lines of, I wish I had the balls to go to the movies alone.
2. You can see whatever you want to see, at the time you want to see it. You can even go see that silly new Star Wars movie!! There’s no one to compromise with about what chick flick to see. You can go see any movie your little heart desires, even if it’s Paddington Bear.
3. You don’t have to share your snacks. I love going to the movies with my friends, but I always feel like I need to share the snacks I snuck in. When you go to the movies alone, you don’t have to do that. You get all your snacks to yourself and that’s just the best. That whole tub of popcorn?! ALL YOURS.
4. You can sit wherever you want and don’t have to compromise with a friend. Everyone likes to sit in different places when they go to the movies. When you go alone, you don’t have to give up the spot you like the most to sit in an area that is closest to your perfect spot and your friends. All the freedom in the world. Not to mention, if it’s a packed theatre with only a few single seats, you get to take advantage of those.
5. You don’t have to share an armrest. I’m a big fan of armrests and when I go with a friend I really only have one option. When I go alone, I have TWO options. I can use both at the same time and enjoy life the way it should be.
6. Each preview isn’t interrupted by someone else’s opinion. I mean, it’s always great to hear what someone else thinks about the preview, but then sometimes it hinders what you think. It’s also annoying when you’re trying to pay attention and enjoy this nice little preview and your friend is blabbing away about how hot #randomceleb is. Shush friend, I’m trying to enjoy.
7. THERE IS NO ONE TO TALK DURING THE MOVIE. Sure the people near you might talk, but no one is trying to talk to you. It’s just you and your thoughts. You don’t even have to think, you can sit there stunned and thoughtless. Either way, no one is trying to discuss why so-and-so didn’t take his shirt off during that one scene.
8. It’s empowering. You’ll walk in a little nervous, but walking out you’ll feel so good about yourself. It’s refreshing to go alone and it makes you feel good about yourself. As silly as it sounds, it’s a great confidence booster. You may even feel brave enough to go eat alone 😉