Ok, I admit it. I am guilty of being one of the adolescent girls that pretty much worshiped the Olsen Twins. Growing up, I could not wait for their latest straight to VHS movie to come out. And every Friday once the new film was released, my friend and I would organize a sleepover. The sleepovers always featured a part of the night that we would have to act out the It Takes Two piano scene, where I, obvi playing Mary Kate because she was the athletic one, would abuse my parents’ piano with pride. This tradition was one we dearly loved and probably lasted past an age we would like to admit. But due to this obsession with the coolest twins around, I was left with some unrealistic ideas about the world that have been tough to learn the truth about. But I am sure that I am not alone in my love for Mary-Kate & Ashley (pre-therapy and creepy older boyfriends of course) or the influence they had in shaping my impressionable young mind.
Here are 8 examples of how the Olsen Twins skewed my thinking while growing up:
1. You won’t be punished when your direct disobedience results in good things happening.
2. Being cute and charming will always get you out of a sticky situation.
3. Twins have completely opposite personalities.
4. People can never tell twins apart. (but I always knew!)
5. One-strap cross-body backpacks and round sunglasses with colored lenses are fashionable.
6. The Witness Protection Program is very lenient and will give you multiple assignments until you find one you’re happy with.
7. You will easily meet attractive, non-creeper boys in every city you ever travel to.
8. Real love is the can’t eat, can’t sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series kind of stuff.
Sadly, the real world has taught me that majority of these things are a tad bit false… although they did contribute to some entertaining pre-teen films. But, despite their films having few realistic characteristics to them, I have to thank the Olsen Twins for providing me with a great excuse to have a sleepover and contributing to some wonderful childhood memories!
And if you were an avid fan of Mary Kate and Ashley like me, I obvi expect you to know exactly which films correlate to each example. You got it, Dude!