I absolutely love zombie movies/tv. It’s my guilty pleasure, but I wouldn’t really want to dress up as a zombie for Halloween. I was searching on Pinterest and came across this awesome picture of Sarah Hyland dressed up as a zombie apocalypse survivor and thought, “This is IT.” It would be so easy to recreate, and who has the time to go out and buy a costume? Plus the DIY-er/creative in me was up for the challenge with whatever I had available to me in my room. Here’s a step by step of how I made a Zombie Apocalypse Survivor shirt.
1. Cut off the sleeves on the shirt at approximately the same length on either side.
2. Cut off the bottom of the shirt (high as you’re comfortable with, I cut the front slightly more than the back)
3. Keep the bottom of the shirt as we’ll be making ties for the sleeves out of them. Cut two thin, small “strings” out of them.
4. Ball up the shirt and pour coffee all over it so it’s mostly covered. Pour coffee on the fabric ties as well.
5. While it’s still wet, sprinkle the cinnamon on the shirt and rub it in in spots. Do this for both the front and the back.
6. Use a combination of both finger painting and paintbrush flicking to create blood patterns on the shirt
7. Tie the fabric strings in knots at the shoulder seams. Let dry.
8. Use scissors to fray the neckline, gently cutting to make the shirt look worn.
9. Pair with ripped jeans, boots and a fake gun/knife
10. Do your hair messy and add fake dirt (bronzer)/blood (lipstick) onto parts of your body
And there you have it! Perfectly easy, unique and sure to get you some compliments, only (hopefully), you’ll be slaying some drinks instead of zombies this Halloween 😉 Good luck!