“Help, I’m turning into my mother,” echos every young woman at some point in her 20s.
It was basically written in the sky. No matter how hard you tried NOT to end up like her (she was always so annoying telling you to be home by a certain time… or to clean up your room), you ARE her. And there’s no turning back now. Here are 23 signs you are turning into your mother.
1. You have at least one glass of wine per day after/before/with/for dinner.
2. You often find yourself in bed watching TV with sweatpants on every night.
3. Your TV shows consist of hour long network dramas that you’ve been waiting to watch and are just getting around to watching now.
The Crown? Handmaids Tale? You’re on it.
4. You dedicate an entire day every weekend to grocery shopping.
Nothing says I’m turning into my mother quite like going to multiple grocery stores every weekend. It’s not like you can just go to one store and be done. You must go them all. Every grocery store has different items and different deals!
5. You buy underwear at Target instead of Victoria’s Secret.
It’s cheaper, duh. And it’s not like you really care what you look like in lingerie anymore anyway. You’re either going to have your clothes on… or you’re going to be naked. It’s as simple as that.
6. When you yell at your significant other, you can actually hear your mom yelling at your dad.
OH THE HORROR.
7. You are a discount-hunting-ninja.
You collect coupons and you do NOT buy certain things unless they are on sale.
8. You ask people to take off their shoes when they enter your home.
Who do you think you are?!
9. You plan what you’re going to cook every week on Sunday.
You need to know in advance so you can find all the best deals on this week’s ingredients.
10. If your steak isn’t cooked to your liking or your drink has too much vodka in it, you’ll send it back.
Life is too short to pay for things you aren’t satisfied with.
11. Clutter gives you anxiety.
You now understand why your mom always yelled at you to clean your room. You wouldn’t want to enter that thing now either.
12. You’ve cried while watching the Today Show.
You have zero shame.
13. You return everything because you would never keep something you’re never going to use.
You keep basically every receipt and if you don’t use or wear said item in the next week, it’s going back! No more keeping clothes stuffed at the back of your closet with the tags still on them. You actually need that money!
14. You don’t understand why kids these days listen to noise.
15. HomeGoods is your happy place.
A candle? Some potpourri? New pillows for the couch? Seasonal decor for the entry way? UGHHHH you can’t get enough of it.
16. You know what the difference between BJs and Costco is.
The first time I said I’m turning into my mother was probably the first time I explained to a friend how different BJs and Costco are, and they blankly stared at me because we were 25 and at a bar. But it’s true. They sell different things.
17. If someone asks you for something, you probably have it in your bag.
You’re a modern day Mary Poppins. No one ever knows what you’re going to pull out of your bag.
18. You buy (the majority of) your shoes based on practicality instead of how fashionable they are.
For instance, even though those comfy sneakers are not as fashionable as that cute pair of heels, you will buy them over the heels because the heels hurt your feet… and you basically have no where to wear heels anymore anyway.
19. You no longer think any color is better than no color.
Sunscreen has become your friend. Sadly, though, it’s probably too late to save your skin from wrinkles. Oh well. You will definitely school your kids in the importance of sunscreen one day!
20. You actually care about people.
When you drop someone off, you wait for them to go inside before pulling away. When someone leaves the bar or a party or even a dinner, you have them text you when they get home. If someone is upset, you’re always there to listen. You only do this for select people though. The rest you could don’t have for to be brutally honest, but mom life!!!
21. NO ONE EVER HELPS YOU CLEAN!!!!!
Or at least it feels that way. Why is there always something new to clean every 5 seconds? It never ends.
22. You’re often in bed by 10:30pm.
You just get so tired now. Life is EXHAUSTING. Or maybe it’s the wine…