My birth certificate says female. Not only was my bedroom pink with ballerinas everywhere, but I was also a ballerina running around in my costumes. I had the princess bed and all the barbies. Yet, you could still see my ass outside playing kickball and whiffle ball with the boys. Why? Because I love sports.
As a kid I went to my brother’s baseball, basketball and whatever other sports he played games unwillingly. Now, I go to games of all kinds willingly. I often have to convince my friends to come with me now. They don’t think they’ll have fun and then guess what happens? They. Have. Fun.
We live in a world where women are finally getting the recognition they deserve in sports. Our women’s soccer team won the World Cup this year and everyone lost their minds. Ya boys, we saw you tweeting about the women’s soccer match. We also had the first woman football referee. More and more male sports are taking women seriously and it’s about damn time.
Now if all you ignorant males would stop bullying women into telling us we only like sports because of you losers, we’ll have made some more progress.
I’ve got 5 things all PEOPLE, not just males, should know about girls liking sports. I say people because some girls like to think that other girls like sports for various incorrect reasons.
1. I do not like sports because of a boy in my life. Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. This is the worst. Girls like sports for all sorts of reasons. Some because of their dads, some because they play sports, some because they just feel like it. So quit telling us we like sports because of a boy. Vom.
2. I do not buy pink sports gear because it’s tacky. It’s literally the worst. Like “here, we’ll make pink gear for the ladies because they think it looks cute and they all like pink.” Even more vom-worthy. I don’t even like pink so I’m sure as hell am not going to buy pink sports gear. I want to rep the team colors. You’ll see me matching the team in a custom jersey with my own name on the back.
3. I do not choose my favorite players based on who is more attractive. “Wow Courtney, you’re such a liar. You wrote an entire post about most attractive MLB players. Blah Blah Blah.” Ya I did that and I don’t regret it. Players are attractive. I can’t help that. So sure, my favorite players may be very very good looking, but that’s not why I like them. I mean I like the way they look in their tight little ball pants but I also love watching them score and kill the game. I like them because the play hard and put in the effort to make their team win.
4. I know the rules. I know what offsides in hockey is. I know what a flagrant foul in basketball is. I know what a block in the back is in football. I know what a balk is in baseball. So stop thinking that I don’t know the rules or what’s happening or what position someone is playing. I got it. Maybe you should shut up and learn something from me for once, you fools.
5. I know a lot about my organizations but I don’t need to know every detail. I keep up to date with my teams. I know the trades, I know some stats, I know who is good at what and bad at what. But that doesn’t mean I know their blood type or can name every member of their first national championship team. Listen, I said I love sports but that doesn’t mean I know everything their is to know about the organization. I know what I know but just because I don’t know every dang detail doesn’t mean I’m not a real fan.
Now let me get back to watching ESPN. Gotta catch the Top 10.